It’s no secret that health care is a mess in the United States, with more people than ever before looking into alternative health care treatments and options, like chiropractic for example.
The following is a list of facts to help motivate you to take your health in your own hands much sooner than later.
1. In a study done by Mayo Clinic researchers in 2013, it was estimated that nearly 70% of Americans are taking at least one prescription drug, with more than half on two prescriptions. In the same study, it was revealed that 20% of the U.S. population was on five or more prescriptions.
2. 130 people die every single day from opioid overdose, equating to over 47,000 deaths every year and $78.5 billion a year in healthcare costs, lost productivity, addiction treatment, and criminal justice involvement.
3. Being awake for 18 hours straight makes you drive like you have a blood alcohol level of .05 (for reference, .08 is considered drunk). If you’ve been awake for a full 24 hours and drive, it’s like you have a blood alcohol level of .10.
4. Chronic pain can shrink your brain up to 11%. For every year of chronic pain, the gray matter in your brain shrinks up to 1.3 cubic centimeters.
5. 80% of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives.
6. Migraine headaches are the third most common disease in the world.
7. About 422 million people have diabetes across the world, and is the direct or indirect cause of 3.7 million deaths a year.
8. According to the U.S. Congressional Budget Office, 27 million Americans did not have health insurance in 2016.
10. The Association of American Medical Colleges estimates that there will be a shortage of 100,000 physicians by 2030.
If you live in Maricopa, AZ and you don’t want to become familiar with any of these facts, schedule an appointment with Dr. Harshe here!